What is an API?
An Application Programming Interface (API) is a set of programming instructions and standards for accessing web-based software applications or web tools.
Each API has a different language/format. The Values and Keys data that Convoso provides needs to be understood by the API receiving the data.
- Suppose the third-party company needs help changing or understanding the data it receives. You will need to acquire a third-party developer that will be able to create an API Bridge to translate the information between the two APIs, as shown below.
Customers connect to us and have a list of methods to control different aspects of the dialer (import Leads, search Leads, etc.).
A REST Request is when simple variables and values are passed to a URL.
- These are simple web requests to some destination, like submitting a form on a website.
A GET Request is when the system sends a request to receive Leads from your third-party API Vendor.
- For more info, please see Admin FAQ: How to Configure Convoso Connect for GET Request.
A POST Request is when the system sends Leads to your third-party API Vendor.
There are also JSON and XML requests.
- When you choose these, we format the data into JSON or XML and POST them.
- This data is in a more structured format readable by many languages and turned into an object for the programmer to work with better.
Note: You are responsible for developing and providing Convoso with a URL: (ex: http://some-domain.com/someapp.php).
Convoso Connect in the Convoso system is like the API gatekeeper.
Convoso Connect is where you will put the URL for the software you would like to integrate with, as well as the API authentication method,
- The path and password that allows you to update the external software.
That URL is put into the Convoso Connect settings and Triggered by different Events (based on a specific Disposition or all Dispositions or manual Trigger via the webform button.)
- For more info, please see Admin FAQ: How to Configure Convoso Connect for POST Request.
Access to the Values and Keys data must be sent to either your third-party company or a hired service professional that can translate between the two.